The Student News Site of Omaha South High School

The Tooter

The Tooter

The Tooter

Concussions have always been a concern among both student and adult athletes.
Sports' worst enemy
May 20, 2024

Love for teaching runs deep

Taking a glimpse into the life of a South Spanish teacher
Briana Galindo
Teacher Robin Marlowe takes a moment to reflect on her career.

A Spanish teacher should not only be knowledgeable in the language, but also have the passion for teaching as well as a deep understanding of students who struggle to learn a new language.  South High’s Robin Marlowe is one of those teachers.

“Since first grade, I wanted to be a teacher,” Marlowe said, adding that she wanted to work with young people to help them acquire basic skills in life. Marlowe said her way of teaching is to follow a loose routine but to also provide examples and free activities. “Well, more like, I want my students to have options for the activities we do,” Marlowe explained.

Marlowe teaches Spanish, Honors Spanish and ESL. Marlowe said she enjoys teaching Spanish and that her struggles have made her a stronger person. “I want my students to be more confident and comfortable in their language and when learning English,” Marlowe said.

Marlowe shared that South High is a big community, “a family.” Four generations of Marlowe’s family have attended South. Marlowe demonstrates her dedication to students by staying involved with tutoring, helping seniors prepare for college and by engaging in other school activities.

When asked about something memorable, Marlowe recalled a time when she experienced a challenging situation with her home. “I learned that when I needed it the most, my work community and family are there for me.” Marlowe also shared that in her free time, she likes to clean her house, mow her yard, go to the gym and walk, and spend time with her family. She also added that she would like to travel.

“I am always trying to be a better person, to work on myself, for me and for others,” she continued. “I am a very social person, but I do want quiet time for myself.”