The Student News Site of Omaha South High School

The Tooter

The Tooter

The Tooter

Concussions have always been a concern among both student and adult athletes.
Sports' worst enemy
May 20, 2024

Looking for a home run

Basbeball team doesn’t play around
Practice makes perfect for South’s baseball team.

Spring has arrived, and so has baseball season. On the baseball team, physical education coach Eugene Felise and physical education assistant coach Jaysson Valle oversee guiding the team to victory.

Valle shared his thoughts about the baseball season.

“My goal for this season is to have a plan set up for the players to follow, taking accountability, and for the players to give it their all,” Valle said.

Valle added that he prepares himself for a game by being levelheaded and simply going with the flow. “Whatever happens, happens,” he said, adding that he can only control what he can control.

Valle said he’s seen improvement from freshmen players Angel Cortez and Ricky Johnson. “Ever since their first game, I’ve seen huge growth, and I am very proud,” he said.

What Felise and Valle want more from the team is leadership. “I want someone who can guide the team but not boss the team around,” Valle added.

What are the practices like? According to sophomore Kayne Rangel, “the practices are pretty fun, but we go there to get work done and get better, not to mess around.”

Junior Louis Hodoly said that the team has a set practice plan that they follow, and it always changes. “Coach Felise sets a practice plan for the day; even the times are specific to fulfill each task. He does expect each player to have their own integrity to play,” sophomore Roger Rodriguez said.

According to Rodriguez, the best part of the team is being around the people you like. “Talking to your friends who you don’t see in school is also enjoyable,” he added.

Hodoly said that he likes how everyone on the team gets along like a family.

According to Rodriguez and Rangel, freshman Raul Anguiano is doing the best right now on the team. Both said he started on reserve and is now playing varsity. “We can count on him to make routine plays and put the ball in play as he continues his career with our team. I feel he will be a strong branch,” Rodriguez added.

Rangal added that he gets better at baseball by listening to his coach’s advice on what he can do to improve his game and then put the advice to use.