The Student News Site of Omaha South High School

The Tooter

The Tooter

The Tooter

Concussions have always been a concern among both student and adult athletes.
Sports' worst enemy
May 20, 2024

Sophomores take it step by step

Students recap year of activities, friends, personal growth
Unsplash
Sophomores reflect on their year of struggles and successes.

Another year has passed, and soon Omaha South High School sophomores will be juniors!  Take a moment and see how some of those sophomores believe they grew and changed over the past year.

The beginning of the year was rough for some as they navigated their new schedules. With six floors, it’s easy to get lost (and tired). Selene Orozco-Moreno said that “starting sophomore year and getting used to my classes was challenging, but I overcame it by taking it step by step.”

For others, the abundance of schoolwork was the most difficult. Diana Flores-Hernandez felt as if “teachers stacked assignments like crazy.” For Tamaya Barfield, it was more complicated. “Staying on top of my schoolwork and grades was hard with after-school activities, but it got easier once I learned to manage my time better.”

Many sophomores found joy in school activities and clubs this year, including Jade Huffman. “My favorite experience was Sound Off because it was the beginning of show choir. I really enjoyed show choir because I got to learn new things, and I got to see how others represent themselves depending on their community,” she said. Orozco-Moreno said that involving herself “in clubs was my favorite part, even if it was for a short time; it still felt nice getting to know people.”

Getting to know people seemed to be an essential part of the sophomores’ experience. Some noted that making friends also made their year easier. Barfield said she became more outgoing this year. “Last year, I was more secluded, and I wasn’t involved in anything,” she said.

Several sophomores observed personal growth between their first and second years of high school. Ashley Pacheco-Carmona said that “coming to school every day was difficult, but I came to school more than last year.” Other sophomores said that they felt more mature compared to their freshman selves.

As far as advice they would give to incoming freshman, Flores-Hernandez said she would encourage students to “do your best at finishing all your assignments! Don’t fall behind on your work, and make as many friends as possible; it’ll make school easier.”

Many advised that making friends was important, too. “Even if you’re shy, please do it,” Orozco-Moreno added.