The Student News Site of Omaha South High School

The Tooter

The Tooter

The Tooter

Concussions have always been a concern among both student and adult athletes.
Sports' worst enemy
May 20, 2024

Building a committed culture

New coach focuses on responsiblity, accountablity
Samuel Coronado
New track coach Nicholas Nichols focuses on excellence and commitment.

Nicholas Nichols, South High’s new track and field coach, is known for his passion for sports and dedication to helping athletes grow.

Nichols said he took the position because he had already been part of the team for 11 years and had worked with various coaches. He said his goal was to lead the team to success by teaching athletes the values of commitment and responsibility. Nichols said he wanted to improve the program and make it excellent.

“I just wanted to ensure that the program headed in the right direction, that the student athletes are held accountable, and teach the correct things like accountability and commitment.”

Nichols described his coaching style as positive and one which focuses on responsibility and dedication. He said he wants to develop students who are good teammates and have a positive attitude, believing these qualities are essential for success. “I want to teach not only track skills but life skills. I want to grow the whole student athlete, not just a track athlete. Having a good attitude, being a good teammate; all of these things go into my coaching style.”

As for his goals, Nichols expressed a desire to establish a new, committed culture within the team. He stressed the importance of creating an environment where athletes enjoy attending practice rather than seeing it as a chore. “Our goals this year were to build a new culture – a committed culture – where we show up every day and have fun. I want student athletes to look forward to practice and not dread going.”

Nichols also emphasized leading by example. He explained that he strives to maintain a positive attitude, consistency and presence every day. Despite facing personal challenges and bad days like anyone else, Nichols said he is committed to not letting his athletes see it. By prioritizing positivity and reliability, Nichols said he aims to create an environment where athletes feel supported and motivated to give their best efforts.

“I try to motivate and inspire through my actions. I’m always going to have a good attitude; I’m going to be there every day, and I’m going to be positive,” he said. “Just like everyone else, I also have bad days and problems, but I don’t want my student athletes to see that. I don’t want them to worry about me being mad or having a bad practice.”

When asked about a challenge he has faced as a coach, Nichols reflected on the difficulty of building a team where athletes are genuinely committed. He highlighted the importance of trusting and focusing on the students who want to participate, rather than constantly trying to persuade athletes who aren’t committed. Nichols said he chooses to focus on the value of coaching those who are genuinely invested and dedicated to the team’s success.

“It’s hard to build a team where you’re begging kids to come to practice. You have to find who wants to be there, coach them the best you can, and just ride with who wants to be there.”