The Student News Site of Omaha South High School

The Tooter

The Tooter

The Tooter

Back: Cynthia Martinez, Luis Peña, Allan Sanchez, Ava Yang, Nathalia Linares, and Evelyn Velazquez. Front row: Grecia Colin Aguilar, Oscar David Molina-Alfaro, Sarah Gonzales and Lauren Rindfleisch.
Raising our voices
April 19, 2024
Jeric Barton, John Centeno and Charles Northcutt make up part of Souths security team.
Beyond the uniform
April 10, 2024

DECA assists budding entrepreneurs

Groups offers socialization and business savvy to students

Alex Menendez, freshman seminar teacher, is the sponsor of DECA here at South High School.

Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA) is an after-school club that helps students who would like to learn about marketing and the business industry.

One of the activities DECA members participate in is baking cookies to sell weekly on Thursdays and Fridays in order to fundraise for their trips. They have competitions regularly. For example, this year they had a competition in Austin, Texas.

Menendez is a new sponsor for DECA. He said he was in DECA during his time in school as a student and really liked it because it helped him socialize and make new friends, and that’s why he became the new sponsor here at South. Menendez said he believes that more students should join DECA because it can help them socialize more with people who have the same interests.

DECA helps students who want to be in the business and marketing industry. It helps them learn more about business and how to run a business. It also teaches them more than what school teaches them. Menendez said DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high school and colleges.