The Student News Site of Omaha South High School

The Tooter

The Tooter

The Tooter

Got books?

Student club looking for new bibliophiles to join
Jennifer Ayala-Resendiz
“Very Bad People” by Kit Frick is an upcoming book club selection.

The Omaha South Student Book Club is always looking for new members; do you think you’re the right fit?

Librarians Ann Maass and Kellie Mihovk are the sponsors of the student book club. The student book club consists of 31 members and is open to any grade throughout the school year. They meet during the day, rotating times between classes, six to eight times a year.

In the student book club meetings, the librarians and students have discussions about the books they are reading. There are also activities and games students can play that are based on the books. Along with these activities, the librarians also hold a raffle where a student can win a book. There is an author visit coming in January, too!

When asked what her favorite thing about the student book club was, 12th grader Briceyda Alvarez-Simon replied, “I like that they have snacks! I also like how inclusive the club is and the discussions we have.” Her classmate, 12th grader David Garcia (who is also in the club) added, “I like that I’m able to be at a place surrounded with others that share the same interest as me.”

Maass and Mihovk were also interviewed about the hardest and the best part of the student book club.

“The hardest part is finding time for everyone to meet that won’t mess with their schedules,” Maass said. “Although, the best part is seeing students we don’t usually see and the discussions we have.”

Fundraisers, such as coffee sales during parent-teacher conferences, help fund the meetings to purchase supplies and books. The South High Alumni Association also helps by giving grants to pay for the club’s books and the author visit.

To join the Omaha South Student Book Club, just ask the librarians! The librarians are always recruiting and especially looking for ninth and 10th graders.