The Student News Site of Omaha South High School

The Tooter

The Tooter

The Tooter

Describing the Luvabulls in one word

Kimberly Synowiecki stands with the 2023-24 Luvabulls dance team.

When asked to describe the Luvabulls in one word, every girl said something different which shows how unique the South High dance team is.

United, energetic, caring, family, loving, hard workers, special, supporting, amazing, and chaotic are all words the Luvabulls used to describe themselves. English teacher and coach Kimberly Synowiecki described the Luvabulls saying they are leaders. I think she’s right.

What is the Luvabulls, you may ask? The Luvabulls are a school sponsored dance team. They attend competitions, community events, and perform in school for pep rallies.

Most girls also chose the Luvabulls dance team instead of the cheer teams because it seems to be “more like them.”

“I show my feelings with dance,” said Katie Sanchez, a varsity freshman team member.

They also said they have had a passion for dancing since they were little or have been influenced by an older sibling. Even Synowiecki said she had a passion for it.

“I’ve always liked to dance,” said Michelle Rodriguez Barajas, a team captain of the Luvabulls.

Synowiecki said she has been dancing since she was 3 years old. She started dancing because of her sister. “I wanted to do what she did,” Synowiecki said. She was also a cheerleader for the Omaha Knight Hawks for one year. She then became assistant coach for the Luvabulls in 2016 and head coach in 2020.

Synowiecki talked about how much she loves the team and the growth they have made over the year.

Barajas, who is a junior and just became team captain this year, talked about what being captain meant to her.

“It is really important to be able to give my personal opinion and put my input as the younger one,” she said, adding that she is the youngest team captain.

Most of the team also talked about how they have gotten to know each other more than just teammates.

“I wanted to be part of that family; it feels like home, and you’re supported,” said Natalie Abundis Bizcarra.

Andrea Elizarraga-Joya said she enjoys the companionship, family and friends she has created.

The Luvabulls have lots of favorite moments, but most moments seem to be from the Universal Dance Association’s (UDA) dance camp and competitions.

At the UDA camp this year, Janelyn Hernandez, a varsity team member, won All American which is only for seniors. “It was my favorite moment,” she said.

Last year, the 2022-23 Luvabulls won regionals at Minneapolis, Minnesota. This year, the 2023-24 Luvbulls won first place for regionals for their hip-hop routine December 3rd.

The dance team is known for a lot of things or described in certain words, but no matter what, they always try to improve and be better and show off their school and community.