The Student News Site of Omaha South High School

The Tooter

The Tooter

The Tooter

Engaging instructor inspires students

Ian Wilton Rodriguez
Adam Lesher inspires students as he teaches.

Omaha South music teacher Adam Lesher said Concert Choir is what made him want to become a teacher.

Lesher started his teaching career this year for the 2023-24 school year. Ever since Lesher was a child, he said he always wanted and loved music.

“I wanted to be a teacher, a music teacher,” he added.

Before Lesher’s teaching career, he was a student at Millard North and was in Choir and Show Choir for four years during his high school journey which led him to participate in music opportunities at the University of Nebraska – Lincoln.

Lesher said he is enjoying his first year at South this year and added that there have been some high points from Concert Choir, Show Choir, and from the talent show called Sound Off.

According to South junior Alexis Degante, Lesher is a social and happy teacher who can bring everyone together. Degante said that Lesher’s personality is what makes Lesher stand out from the rest of the music teachers.

“He knows how to talk to students and just understands them. He has helped me in parts on my solo and to be able to get to high notes and to hold the note.”

Junior Edvin Lopez also agrees with Degante about Lesher’s way of teaching the class. Lopez said that he thought he was more on the shy and quiet side from just looking at him, but once Lopez got to know Lesher, he realized that he was helpful. This has helped Lopez learn to sing higher and richer than he could before.

Music teacher Tyler Gruttemeyer said that Lesher is a phenomenal addition to the music program team and family. Gruttemeyer added that Lesher is also a student-centered teacher which means that Lesher never gives up on his students and always tries to help his students in many ways.

“He’s always thinking about how he can help the student that is in front of him,” Gruttemeyer said.

Gruttemeyer added that Lesher has really improved during the year; he has helped the music program staff and students, and no one would even know that Lesher is a first-year teacher.

“Engaging” is a word that Gruttemeyer used to describe Lesher because, if you ever talk to Lesher, he always wants to see how things are going.

“Absolutely, there’s so many things he’s been doing; people are flocking Lesher, and people are joining choir left and right,” Gruttemeyer said. “Lesher is just a great recruiter, but he is always engaging and patient. I mean we have one of the best first-year choirs this year with him.”

View Comments (1)