The Student News Site of Omaha South High School

The Tooter

The Tooter

The Tooter

Concussions have always been a concern among both student and adult athletes.
Sports' worst enemy
May 20, 2024

Library offers more than just good reads

Magenta Sorensen

Kellie Mihovk and Ann Maass are the librarians at South High, and they both wish students would check out more books from the library.

The process to check out a book or books of your choice is super simple; all you need to know is your student ID number and BOOM!  You have your books.

Not only the students at South High can check out books, but teachers can most definitely check out books, too. The maximum number of books a student can get is five books at once, but you can renew them for up to two weeks and keep them for up to three weeks; after that you have to give them back to the library.

If you are ever wondering when the best time to go to the library is, well that’s really all up to you. The lovely librarians said that the library is usually most busy during lunch times and before school. There is also a student book club in the library.

The student book club is looking for more ninth grade students, but all grades are welcome. The club has about 35 students as of right now. There are also a lot of other clubs that meet in the library including NHS and Packer Partners. The library is also where students go for tutoring.

There are a lot of students who come to the library, but there are a few students who like to just go to the library to talk to the librarians or just be there to wind down; the librarians call them the “library friends.” They said they enjoy when students feel like the library is a safe and comforting place for students.

The library also has a maker space, a place where students can draw, create projects, make bracelets, or play games. It’s  just an area to do things to help your mind calm down and unwind. There is also a space for new titles if you’re into new books.

The librarians also like to read.

Maass said she likes mystery/thriller and true crime stories, and Mihovk said she likes realistic books. They both said they like reading because “it expands your world view” and “it’s a cheap hobby.”

They also said they love how the library works and how it’s different every day.