The Student News Site of Omaha South High School

The Tooter

The Tooter

The Tooter

Celebrate languages, cultures

MASA provides fun time for students
Freshman Yaretzy Davila and Ivette Cervantes prepare food in MASA.

Have you ever wondered what MASA stands for? Well, wonder no longer. MASA stands for the Multilingual Ally Student Association, and South High has a strong one.

South Spanish teacher Cesar Castellanos said that MASA was formerly a dual language club, but “now it’s a club that helps promote languages and different cultures that are a part of our community at school. Throughout the year we try to do different activities to celebrate the languages and cultures.”

When asked who can join MASA, Castellanos said the club is open to everyone. “Anyone – anybody – who’s interested in learning another language or who speaks another language from any cultural background; everybody is welcome to join.”

As a part of MASA, students can engage in team building, volunteer, take field trips, play games, and take part in activities and celebrations for different languages and cultures. In other words, just have a good time.

South senior Edgar Del Cid Lutin said that he comes to MASA “every Thursday to have something to do after school. It keeps me occupied and entertained. While I’m not busy with school and work, MASA is the best option. I like to spend time with others and stay connected to our culture and other cultures, as well.”

Lutin also mentioned how MASA helps pique his curiosity when it comes time to see what Castellanos and other club sponsors have planned for each week.

“I hope that we can have more people join in the near future,” Lutin added.