The Student News Site of Omaha South High School

The Tooter

The Tooter

The Tooter

Beyond the uniform

South security guards share their experiences
Jamie Mancilla
Jeric Barton, John Centeno and Charles Northcutt make up part of South’s security team.

Have you ever wondered what lies behind the badges of some of South High’s security guards? Well, sometimes they also wonder about the students they protect daily.

Security guard Johan Centeno (JC) said that he likes “being able to interact with the students and learn their stories!” The security guards generally work eight hours a day Monday through Friday keeping the school safe, protecting the perimeter and working to make South a comfortable place.

Lead security guard Charles Northcutt said he first became an OPS security guard in October 2007. He said his mother has always been his biggest supporter, telling him that that “whatever you plan to do in life, be the best at it!” Northcutt said he got to where he is now from a combination of hard work, dedication and being responsible. One of the things he likes about being a security guard at South is being visible and here for the students. Northcutt added that he is straight to the point; as long as you respect him, he will respect you back.

Centeno, who joined South High in September 2021, said he enjoys working with youth and that he has always wanted to educate and give back to the community. “You don’t have to be a teacher to educate,” he said.

Centeno said he wants to make clear that the security team is very approachable and will direct a student along the right path, if needed.  Centeno’s nickname is “The Calmer” because of how effective he is at calming down situations. Centeno added that his parents have been his biggest support and inspiration, adding, “I’m pretty blessed to have my parents; they’re strict when they need to be, and loving when you need it.”

New to South this year is security guard Jeric Barton. Barton said he left his position as a mail carrier to begin at South. He said his dream job would be working as a music producer, and he’s still working hard toward that goal. Barton said he enjoys his duties at South because not every moment is serious; there is always some type of fun happening. Barton added that he is easy going and a genuinely friendly guy, but when it comes to disrespect or defiant behavior, he does not play around.

Everyone on the security team shared that following expectations and respecting the property plays a big part in how everyone comes together as a school.  They also asked students to refrain from vandalism and vaping/smoking and to demonstrate respect to all staff and fellow classmates because not complying not only disrespects everyone around them, but the school, as well.

Other members of the South security team are Mark Martin and Eric Miller.

View Comments (1)