The Student News Site of Omaha South High School

The Tooter

The Tooter

The Tooter

Hitting a new note

Mariachi club lets students embrace musical roots
Samuel Coronado
Club members Brandon Castro and David Garcia demonstrate their musical talents.

South High School is playing a new note with its new addition – the Mariachi Club! Diving into the heart and soul of this music club, we explore the creation, some of the challenges, and the bright future for this amazing addition to the South High School music program.

The inspiration for the creation of the Mariachi Club at South High started because students and teachers realized they had a lot of Latino students and a strong performing arts program. According to Kenny Baires, Mariachi Club organizer, “you have a lot of Latinos here, and with it being a performing arts pathway kind of school, you have everything you need; you have wind players, you have string players and more. And that common question is asked like, ‘Why don’t we play any of our music?’ The buy-in is there.”

With talented wind and string players around, students felt passionate about embracing their cultural roots. This excitement and commitment from the students show the real heart and soul behind the new Mariachi Club.

Starting the Mariachi Club had its share of problems. According to Baires, “I think some of the challenges were finding the kids to do it, and I think I was lucky enough that kids were interested enough that they found friends and other kids to fill the spots for the other instruments like the violin. And you know finding the time after school and enough kids for the club, it was tough.”

Figuring out schedules after school and getting enough students to join the club was also tough. Despite these challenges, the students’ determination and teamwork made it possible for the Mariachi Club to come to life, Baires said.

The club is getting ready for some exciting times ahead, Baires added.

Group members are working with Central’s Mariachi Club to practice jointly and strengthen cultural ties within the school district.

“We’ve gone to joint rehearsals with Central’s Mariachi Club, and it really promotes that cultural connection as a school district,” Baires said. They are also trying to secure a spot to perform at the Cinco de Mayo festival and are gearing up to play at the Mariachi Cultural Festival in Dennison, Iowa, April 13th.

Baires added that their goal is to share their love for mariachi music and celebrate their cultural heritage through these performances.