The Student News Site of Omaha South High School

The Tooter

The Tooter

The Tooter

The secrets to success

Seniors share their tips for navigating high school
Destiny Rodriguez Cabeza
Jocelyn Martinez shares some advice on how to navigate one’s high school career.

High school senior students have pretty much gone through it all. The following South seniors gave their advice on their high school experiences, what they would have done differently and what they would recommend to other students during their high school years.

While the South High seniors all had different advice for everyone, they also shared some similarities.

This group of seniors’ freshman year started off a bit differently; due to the Covid-19 epidemic, they were forced to take online classes for some of their school year. They had to learn to do things differently, and when they came back, school had changed a lot, and the way they would do things would never really be the same.

Most of the seniors said that their high school years went by quickly. They also said to enjoy every possible moment, good and bad.

Lucero Dominguez said that she regretted “not going to homecoming and prom my junior year; this year homecoming was actually nice!”

Dominguez said that middle school was very different from high school because in high school, everyone does his or her own thing. She also said to stay in your circle and “be kind to everyone even if they’re rude.”

Alexia Alvarez shared similar thoughts about her high school experience, saying it’s better to not be a follower and do your own thing. “It was definitely full of ups and downs,” said Alavarez.

Her friend and classmate Oscar Gonzalez said he had some good experiences at South and that he would recommend “focusing on your grades and to not fall behind because in the future you will regret it.”

Jocelyn Salazar’s advice as a senior is almost the same as Gonzalez’. She said to “make sure to get all your credits done on time and communicate with your teachers if you need help.”

Salazar also said that if you can’t stay on track to get a mentor to help you. Dominguez agreed, adding that “if you connect with your teachers, they can really help you.”

When asked what they wish they would have done differently, they all gave unique answers.

Dominguez said that she wishes she would’ve taken her classes more seriously because she is now jealous of those who have early release.

Salazer said she wishes she would’ve joined more honor programs. She also said that she wishes she would’ve talked to her teachers more so that they could’ve helped her in different ways.

Alvarez said she also wishes she would’ve used her resources more and also talked to her teachers.

Something Gonzalez said he would’ve done differently is not making “bad friends,” but he also said that he recommends not being afraid to talk to people. “Something is better than nothing,” Gonzalez added.

Listening to the advice from these seniors could provide you with a smoother high school experience.