The Student News Site of Omaha South High School

The Tooter

The Tooter

The Tooter

Love is love at South High

GSA provides a safe, inclusive space for all
Briahna Frye
GSA provides a safe space for LGBTQ+ students and allies.

Everyone says that love is love, but in the Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA) club, it is also about acceptance, understanding and supporting each other.

“GSA is a student group that helps connect, support and celebrate LGBTQ+ students,” according to Grace Solem-Pfeifer, club sponsor and ESL teacher at South High. Solem-Pfeifer explained that the origin of GSA came from a time when students did not fit in because of their gender or sexuality. She also explained that during this time, students really needed a safe place to find people like them.

“GSA is important to me because it’s a safe place for people like me,” Kyoko Cordoba, a 10th grader at Omaha South, said. They also explained how the GSA club is very inclusive and no matter what mood someone is in, they will have a good time.

“I like how it’s a free space, and we talk about gay rights,” said Liam McVay, a 10th grader at Omaha South.

Solem-Pfeifer said that she has been a co-sponsor of GSA at South for three years. She also said that she takes a lot of direction from the students and what they want to get out of GSA.

“GSA is important to me because I feel like the school really does accept us by letting the program be a thing,” McVay explained. McVay added that people should join no matter if they’re a part of the LGBTQ+ community or if they are just an ally, because being a part of the group goes a long way toward understanding LGBTQ+ history and how it came to be what it is today.

Cordoba said they think that people should join GSA because they could meet a lot of great people and find that it’s a great opportunity to learn more about the LGBTQ+ community.

Solem-Pfeifer added that allies play a big role in GSA. “Allies have always been welcome and a big part of GSA.”

She also discussed what allies do for the club.

“Our allies are great examples of the friendships, connections and support that students can have regardless of if they identify as LGBTQ+; it’s an accepting and inviting space for everyone,” Solem-Pfeifer stated.

Solem-Pfeifer also talked about some of the things they do in their meetings. “We have done movie days, posters for queer history month, played games or sometimes just relaxed,” she said. She also talked about how they sometimes discuss issues that are affecting the students.

McVay said he wanted more people to join the club so that acceptance and support for everyone expands.

“It’s not just a safe place; it’s also a creative place and a community for students to learn more and connect with their community,” Solem-Pfeifer added.